With a big question mark.
It’s been 6 months since my post on effort, where I stated actions to carry out in an effort to make life better for myself…..so what’s happened since then?
- Well, I’ve run 2 half marathons and an obstacle course race. I’ve definitely put in the effort physically and challenged my body!
- I’ve been semi successful with procrastination…..I now diarise the majority of upcoming events and tasks, using both a paper diary and my phone. It’s still a work in progress though; I’ve missed out on a couple of opportunities and deals because I’ve pushed back a matter by a couple of hours. But sometimes life gets in the way, so it can’t be 100% all of the time
- My sleeping pattern has taken a battering; I’ve formed a naughty habit of dozing off on the sofa, waking up after midnight and dragging myself to bed as late as 1:00am (even on a work night). But even when I’m in bed sometime find myself surfing social media on my phone (yes, I take it to bed with me!) for a further 10 – 15 minutes in bed before going to sleep. I can only guess what the screen light is doing to my (already short sighted) eyes and health…..I’m aiming to get control of this by the end of 2015
- On the spending front, with the exception of my fixed outgoings, I don’t have concrete monthly budget for expenditure like food, clothes and entertainment. What I have done, is download a free Spending Tracker app on my phone (there an app for everything!). My friend Ishan, put me on this and I have been using it 95% of time during September. I didn’t want to impose any restrictions in September regarding my spending; It’s allowed me to observe where my money has been going after my compulsory outgoings. This will allow me to be a lot more cautious with my money. I have plans for the future and unfortunately they all involve money; got to be more careful with the pennies……
- My biggest progression has been quitting my job…..during my birthday dinner, I decided to quit my job (regardless of whether I had another role lined up or not) before the end of July and by mid-June I had given notice. It needed to be done; I was unhappy at my job for a significant amount of time; longer than really anyone should be and I came to the conclusion that being unemployed for a period couldn’t be worse than continuing to struggle at firm with little prospects. By His Grace, I was able to be offered a role at another firm around the same time that I was leaving my previous job. At the moment I feel a lot more stable and optimistic about my career, though again this is still a work in progress.
So you can see that some things have been progressive for me, others not so much. There’s still 3 months to go until the end of 2015 and even if I don’t achieve everything I wanted to this year, there’s always next year…..by His Grace. It's all about progress, not perfection. The sun’s still shining so don’t give up!
How has your progress been so far this year?